RE: [squid-users] Authentication issue through the proxy

From: Scott Wrosch <swrosch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:20:31 -0500

Okay, time to bring this issue back up, as I have another question or
two.

Doesn't sound like that they want to go to plaintext because of "their
standards." Which I can understand, to an extent. If you're allowing
people to access an internal site from the Internet, you definitely
don't want to broadcast the information in plaintext.

So, with that being said, is there any other encryption methods that
have no issues with proxies that can be used with IIS? Or, is there a
way (that you're aware of) in IIS to configure it so that if it's going
to the internal networks it uses basic authentication, but if it's
coming from the Internet, it uses NTLM (assuming the answer to the first
question is no)?

> But even if that is not possible all hope is not lost. There exists a
> third-party proxy which can act as a Basic->NTLM authentication
> gateway. See 'NTLM Authorization Proxy Server'
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/ntlmaps/. <

That may be an option. Hopefully it's similar to Squid as far as
configuration goes (I'm a complete noob when it comes to proxies...
Squid is the first that I've set up). I may have to take a look at it
later if I can't stick with just using Squid.

Thanks for all the help Henrik!

Regards,
Scott