[squid-users] Authentication issue through the proxy

From: Scott Wrosch <swrosch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:07:23 -0500

Good morning!

So I've got everything up and running the way I want it to. Of course,
a few more monkey wrenches get tossed in the machine, but that's not a
problem that I can't handle (I just have to get the ambition to actually
take care of it).

But, an issue has arisen. We have an "internal" site that we can't get
to through the proxy. It's actually a site we can get to outside of our
LAN as well, but we only have issues getting to it from inside the LAN
when using the proxy.

Here's a snippet of the web page error that I get:

>HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration
>Internet Information Services
>
>Technical Information (for support personnel)
>
>Background:
>This is usually caused by a server-side script not sending the proper
WWW->Authenticate header field. Using Active Server Pages scripting this
is done >by using the AddHeader method of the Response object to request
that the >client use a certain authentication method to access the
resource.

Now to me, that tells me that the server is set up wrong. But, here's a
snippet of the access.log file as well:

1046700592.012 2 192.1.1.72 TCP_DENIED/407 1799 GET
http://www.marketingassociates.com/internal - NONE/- text/html
1046700592.020 2 192.1.1.72 TCP_DENIED/407 1795 GET
http://www.marketingassociates.com/internal - NONE/- text/html
1046700592.052 30 192.1.1.72 TCP_MISS/401 4630 GET
http://www.marketingassociates.com/internal ma\swros DIRECT/10.10.0.94
text/html

To me, everything looks fine. I have no problems accessing any of the
other "internal" sites (a billing site and the Exchange server).

But, with that being said, I've heard that it's an authentication issue
with an MS product. And, from what I've seen on the mailing list, that
is indeed the case.

So my question then is there any way around it? Whether it be a setting
that I might have to have changed on the server hosting the page, or a
setting in Squid, it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks in advance!

Scott Wrosch
desk 248.333.7700 x227
email swrosch@marketingassociates.com

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling
but in rising every time we fall." -- Confucius