Re: [squid-users] Extending SquidGuard to work out of a SQL database

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:09:22 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>mån 2003-03-03 klockan 13.41 skrev Joe Maimon:
>

>>My company is looking to extend the Squid redirector, SquidGuard to work
>>realtime out of a SQL database. We are looking to target the GNU/Linux
>>environment and the MySql database server.
>>

>Hmm.. I would be a little worried about the latency of using MySQL in
>the mix.. it is very hard to beat BerkelyDB when it comes to read
>latency of static data..

True - but I am betting large hardware and decsion caching will compensate.

>I would recommend periodically updating the SquidGuard databases from
>MySQL for easier configuration and maintenance, but keep SquidGuard as
>it is.

I have a hard time seeing that scaling well. I have seen some efforts to
this end, but we are talking about parsing out a SquidGuard config from
an sql db - ( not a simplistic task I would think ) - aside from Berkely
DB updates. Each time this config changes due to new
sources/acl/destination all squidguards need to be hupped. Now that can
be a large hit. As we are trying to take the configuration to a highly
distributed ( many admins in many orgs) level, this would probaly make
the whole thing fall down. And users hate latency on config changes.

I actualy practice this concept for my named.conf files. It wasn't
simple for that and lost some flexibility there as well.

That being said, your advice merits some consideration.