Re: [squid-users] Changing cache location

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:11:12 +0100

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 04.21, Lightfoot.Michael wrote:

> Others may confirm
> this, but I suspect that you can't change the name of the cache
> directory and preserve the cache unless you delete the swap.state
> file and let squid rebuild it by reading every cache directory.

There is no problem moving a Squid cache around, as long as the
cache_dir line for the new location has the same L1 and L2
parameters.

> The relationship between partition size and cache size is complex.
> If you are using Berkeley style filesystems such as UFS (on Unixes
> such as Solaris) or ext2 (on Linux), there will be a gradual
> fragmentation of the cache filesystems with the number of free
> fragments slowly taking over the free list until free blocks drops
> to zero.

ext2 does not have block fragments, and this problem does not occur
there.

Solaris can be tuned to mostly get rid of the problem by tuning the
filesystem to optimize for space. See the Squid FAQ.