[squid-users] Squid 2.4 stable 7 DNS problem

From: Joe Kattner <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:51:40 -0500

Hello All,

I'm experiencing a problem that I did not find searching through the
archives or bugzilla, using version 2.4 stable 7. When an IP is used
in a http(s) request, and the authoritative DNS server returns a
SRVFAIL, squid does not process the request, even though an IP was
asked for and that IP is up and serving http (or https).

I see where the squid conf file notes that if using dstdomain which I
am, it will attempt a reverse lookup. It seems odd that squid will
process the request, if a non-existent domain (NXDOMAIN) is returned,
but not SRVFAIL. Granted there is a significant difference between the
two responses from a DNS perspective, but in either case squid gets no
answer to the reverse lookup, yet squid will process one and not the other.
Using always_direct does not resolve the issue.

Has anyone seen this issue, and know a workaround other than
complaining to the DNS admin to fix their broken arpa domain?

Thank you,

--Joe