Re: [squid-users] Kernel Panic

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:48:17 +0100

Ali Resting wrote:

> I am using Squid 2.5STABLE1 and have been for a while. 2 days ago we upgraded the memory from 512MB to 1024MB. The machine seemed to run fine, and at some point during the evening it crashed with a kernel panic. We restarted the box and again it ran for about 3 hours then crashed. I have notice the crash comes during heavy usage of squid. I then reverted back to the 512MB memory which had been working fine for about 6months and it also started doing the same thing - crashing.
>
> I have deleted and recreated the cache directory to no avail. these are my settings in squid:
>
> cache_mem 200MB
> cache_dir /home/squid 10240 16 256.
>
> Nothing else has been changed on the box. I am using RedHat 2.4.18 with the ft module(Promise FastTrak ataraid).
> I have looked at the cache.log of squid, there are no errors there.
>
> Ali Resting
> Real Image Internet

 What is the panic message (/var/log/messages) ?

 An application should never be able to crash the kernel.

 The new mem. could be bad for instance.

 Check this out : E.g 'googalize' yourself on the
 word 'memtest'.

 Several tools will be found, also in the public domain.

 Some of them run from floppy,or can even be configured
 in the bootloader of a linux installation, where then
 a choice can be made for instance between the kernel or a mem test
 during system startup.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM