[squid-users] Squid on AIX and ftp.compaq.com

From: Dennis Kuis <dennis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:20:20 +0100

Hi,

I've seem to have a strange problem, but first (as always) the situation:

This site has 2 Squid proxy servers, the first is "Squid Cache: Version
2.4.STABLE4", running on a Sun Solaris 8 machine. The other one is
"Squid Cache: Version 2.4.STABLE7" running on AIX 5.1 ML2, which is a
follow-up of a Sun Solaris 7 machine....

The problem is the following: When I'm trying to open a FTP connection
with some sites as ftp.compaq.com and ftp.pc.ibm.com (and maybe some
others, but I haven't found them, 98% is working perfect) it times out,
or I get the following error:
---------------------------------------
While trying to retreive the URL:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/archives/networks/350lnt22.exe

The following error was encountered:

        Read Error

The system returned:

        (73) Connection reset by peer

An error condition occured while reading data from the network. Please
retry you request.
---------------------------------------

I know ftp.compaq.com has some things with new line characters in it's
header or banner, and maybe ibm.com has the same... But the strangest
part is the following: on the Sun it's working like a charm, but on the
AIX I get the error as said above...

Are the squid.conf files different? No, well, the are some little
differences between the Sun ant the AIX (like outgoing and incoming
addresses), but the conf file which is currently on the AIX machine is
an exact copy from the old Sun proxy server (which was working fine
also).... So it looks like an AIX related issue or something...

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I've got the feeling that I
searched the entire internet for the solution, but I can't find it...

Thanks,

Dennis