Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy

From: Chad Whitten <cwhitten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:44:00 -0600

your cisco ios has to support wccp and then you need to compile your squid
server with the --enable-linux-netfilter. once thats done, you need to
compile the ip_wccp.c kernel module (do a google for it) with the command
---------------- this is all one line by the way -----------------------------
gcc -D __KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -m386
-DCPU=386 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -c ip_wccp.c

then load up the module in the kernel - modprobe ip_wccp
configure some iptables rules for redirection - can be found at
http://www.nexband.com/LDP/HOWTO/mini/TransparentProxy.html

then on the router add the wccp commands
in the global config
 ip wccp version 1
 ip wccp web-cache
and on your outward facing interface
 ip wccp web-cache redirect out

there are some special things you have to set in squid.conf that are specified
in the howto above, but one that isnt is the wccp router option
here is a snip from mine (routers ip is 172.16.0.1)
# TAG: wccp_router
# Squid. Setting the 'wccp_router' to 0.0.0.0 (the default)
 wccp_router 172.16.0.1
# TAG: wccp_version
 wccp_version 4

note if you router ios doesnt support wccp, you can do some stuff with route
maps - search the squid-cache faqs for interception caching on how to do it.

--
Chad Whitten
Network/Systems Administrator