[squid-users] password required in squid

From: Toto Gamez <egamez@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:27:29 +0800

thanks Nate
it worked, it asked for a password before I can browse the net but my
problem is I dont have any passwd file I only copied it in /etc/passwd and
put it in squid directory and chmod 777. is it right to do that or can
someone give me a sample/format of passwd used by squid

regards,
Toto

Toto Gamez said:

> authenticate_program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/passwd
> authenticate_children 5
> acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
>
> but it doesn work client can browse the internet without any password.
> Ismy conf correct or do I missed something
> How can I go about it and can you give me some examples

I haven't done this before but my suggestion is to look at the
http_access directives in squid.conf

# TAG: http_access
# Allowing or Denying access based on defined access lists
#
# Access to the HTTP port:
# http_access allow|deny [!]aclname ...
#
# Access to the ICP port:
# icp_access allow|deny [!]aclname ...

try

http_access allow password

and remove the other http_access rules, the main one is probably
http_access allow all

(don't remove it, just comment it out)

be sure to restart squid..

nate