Re: [squid-users] Fwd : what Histogram Section in Cachemgr.cgi Script indicates?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 20 Mar 2003 15:28:36 +0100

tor 2003-03-20 klockan 14.38 skrev atit:
> I found Interpretation of Full Histogram Count Section in Cachemgr.cgi script
> interpretation is at
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/199904/0116.html
>
> i know it is related to various service time.....
> what is significance and purpose of this section ?
>
> i want to know to which, values in this section are related?

Most are related in different manners, but using the full histogram
counts is only useful if you want to run your own detailed statistics
about on how the response times are distributed etc.

For most purposes the summarised statistics shown in the "Cache
Utilisation" page is more than sufficient. This is calculated from the
histograms.

> does it give me way towards measuring SQUID Response time or any thing other...?

The full histogram counts gives you direct access to the internal
statistics of Squid, from which Squid calculates the response times and
other more easily digested statistics, allowing you to calculate your
own results if the averages calcualted by Squid is not sufficient.

> What can i achieve by examining this section....?

This depends entirely what kind of statistics you are looking for, but
for most purposes the data is quite useless unless you are used to
calculating statistics based on histograms and know exactly what
information beyond the averages shown in the "Cache Utilisation" page
you want to know.

Each histogram (block of numbers) represents a single measurement such
as "Miss response time". "Object size", "Hit response time" etc. Within
the histogram you have the distribution of requests, so for example by
looking at the "Miss response time" histogram you can tell the
distribution of miss response times over the last 3 days

To summarise:

Squid internally keeps detailed statistics about the last 72 hours in
histograms

This information can be summarised into averages by reading the "Cache
Utilisation" page.

Or you can get the most interesting averages by reading the "General
Runtime Information" page.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden