[squid-users] Timeouts details and Retry problems

From: Fabrice DELHOSTE <Fabrice.DELHOSTE@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:11:52 +0100

Hi *,

We are new to Squid and have problems around timeouts.
First, please tell us if we could get more information about timeouts than those provided in Guides and FAQ.
We do not clearly understand their behavior even if they seems well documented.

In particular, we have an application that does some browsing through a squid proxy to a content server.
Unfortunately, the HTTP client layer (third-party) in our application does not support timeouts. That's why we would like to provide request timeouts thanks to the proxy.
So after installing Squid, we modified connect_timeout and read_timeout. We found configurations that works but we would like to understand precisely why. Moreover, due to our misunderstanding, we sometimes have strange effects such as double requests (or even more) to the content server whereas the application correctly receives the timeout error by sending only one request. Any idea?

Thanks for your help.

Fabrice Delhoste
fabrice.delhoste@gemplus.com