Re: [squid-users] Timeouts details and Retry problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 24 Mar 2003 20:30:28 +0100

mån 2003-03-24 klockan 12.11 skrev Fabrice DELHOSTE:

> So after installing Squid, we modified connect_timeout and
> read_timeout. We found configurations that works but we would like to
> understand precisely why. Moreover, due to our misunderstanding, we
> sometimes have strange effects such as double requests (or even more)
> to the content server whereas the application correctly receives the
> timeout error by sending only one request. Any idea?

Squid automatically retries requests if the first attempt fails, to
increase the likelyhood of a successful reply. Depending on the
conditions there may be as much as up to 10 retries of the same request.

The same is also done by most browsers.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden