Re: [squid-users] your cache is Running out of filedescriptors

From: Jeff Donovan <jdonovan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:43:38 -0500

Silly me , i found a part in the FAQ-11.4
FreeBSD

by Torsten Sturm
How do I check my maximum filedescriptors?

Do sysctl -a and look for the value of kern.maxfilesperproc .
How do I increase them?
sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=XXXX
         sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=XXXX
Warning : You probably want maxfiles > maxfilesperproc if you're going
to be pushing the limit.
What is the upper limit?

I don't think there is a formal upper limit inside the kernel. All the
data structures are dynamically allocated. In practice there might be
unintended metaphenomena (kernel spending too much time searching
tables, for example).

####Here is my kernel output: i would assume i could increase the
maxproc and the maxfiles.

[squidx:~] root# sysctl -a | more
kern.ostype = Darwin
kern.osrelease = 6.4
kern.osrevision = 199506
kern.version = Darwin Kernel Version 6.4:
Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

kern.maxvnodes = 33584
kern.maxproc = 2048
kern.maxfiles = 12288

####any suggestions on how much to increase this by?

kern.argmax = 65536
kern.securelevel = 1
kern.hostname = squidx
kern.hostid = 3223847169
kern.clockrate: hz = 100, tick = 10000, profhz = 100, stathz = 100
kern.posix1version = 198808
kern.ngroups = 16
kern.job_control = 1
kern.saved_ids = 0
kern.boottime = Sat Mar 22 19:52:28 2003

{snip}--not relative