[squid-users] HTML Codes?

From: Lee Bailey <l.bailey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:49:53 -0000

Hello,

I'm new to squid and have a query from one of my users...

"If I attempt to access a site which no longer exists, e.g.
http://www.timesite.co.uk/ The Squid cache reports:

"The following error is encountered:
    Unable to determine IP address from host name for
www.timesite.co.uk
The dnsserver returned:
    Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
...."

I understand why the error was generated. The DNS entry for this site
no longer exists, as stated. But it appears that the HTML error code
generated by the proxy server could be incorrect. It is recorded by my
link-checking software as error 503.

According to my list of HTML error codes, 503 means 'Out of Resources
- The server cannot process the request due to a system overload. This
should be a temporary condition.'

Since the lack of a DNS registration is neither 'out of resources'
and probably not 'temporary', shouldn't the error code be different
(e.g. 410 which is 'Gone - The requested resource is no longer
available at the server and no forwarding address is known')?"

I've got 3 Squid-based proxy servers and all return a tcp_miss/503 for
any URLs that don't exist/typos. I don't regard this as a problem but a
query as to whether this is the correct response for this situation or
whether the 503 definition has changed?.

Can anyone please comment, so I can give an informed respsponse?

Many thanks,

Lee.