[squid-users] Authentication not working exactly as desired

From: Claudio Alonso <cfa71@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:07:59 -0300

Hi,
We are testing a squid 2.5 STABLE1 (non transpartent, with NTLM auth and
Basic auth; both, in that order) on a Sun Ultra 5 (with Solaris 8).
The basic authentication was included for users who are accessing the web
from a Linux box or from any machine not logged in the WinNT domain. But the
users logged in the domain shouldn't be asked for their username and
password (they should use NTLM auth).
Usually it works fine, but from time to time, users who are logged in the
domain are asked to provide their login information.
Why may be this happening? And how could this be avoided? I already
increased the children parameter from 5 to 15 (and currently we have only 14
users using this proxy).

Here is part of my squid.conf file:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/local/squid/libexec/wb_ntlmauth
auth_param ntlm children 15
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_lifetime 2 minutes
auth_param basic program /usr/local/squid/libexec/wb_auth
auth_param basic children 15
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
acl internet-group external wbinfo_group InternetSquid
http_access allow internet-group
http_access deny all

Thanks in advance,

--Claudio