[squid-users] system performance and memory question

From: Pat Lendon <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:57:22 -0500

Hello All,

Enclosed is a chart mapping our squid 2-5.1 memory usage. The squid
memory continues to grow and grow. It appears that when squid is
shutdown and then restarted, memory returns to zero and then steadily
grows and grows. Memory continues to grow until squid is shutdown at
some point.

We are using Redhat Linux OS. System has 1 gig of memory. Cache
Manager and top command show squid memory at steady 5%. I've read
squid faq 8.11 "How much memory do I need in my squid server?"

cache_dir ufs /d1/squid_cache 2048 16 256
/d1 resides on separate file system (18gig of disk, with 7 gig
available). Squid cache is configured to use 2 gig.
10 MB of ram per GB of total cach_dirs would be 20MB
cache_mem 8 MB
Plus cache_mem setting is 8 MB. Plus additional 20MB does calculate to
the 5% (50 meg) of the 1 gig of memory system contains. System appears
to have enough memory.

Looking at chart enclosed, is it normal for squid memory usage to grow
and grow?
What causes this?

Furthermore - I'm also seeing slight delays on system (system is
momentarily slow). System has two AMD Athlon(TM) MP 1800+ processors
cpu MHz 1533.431. When system seems delayed we run top and cpu's are
not even at 50%, memory looks fine. The only thing we've noticed is
load average increases from 0.85% to 5%. I've always kept default of
cache_dir ufs, do I need to configure aufs or other? I'm not even sure
if squid is cause of random system slow/delay moments.

Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated. Thank you!

mislxsrv.microcenter.com_stats_cricket_grapher.cgi_type_png_target__squid-proxy_sysadm_dslist_MemUsage_range_41472000_period_yea