Re: [squid-users] Dynamic and static content caching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:18:47 +0100

"Rosety Molins, Blanca" wrote:

> Hello all,
> I would like to know what happens if I have my Squid caching
> static content, and there is a web page containing both kind
> of contents (using frames). Does Squid cache just the static
> content or it does not cache anything at all?

Squid does not know of documents or pages, only HTTP objects.

A frameset or page consists of very many individual HTTP objects,
composed together for display by your browser:

  1. The frameset definition
  2. The HTML objects in each frame (one per frame)
  3. The embedded image objects within each HTML object (one per unique
image URL).
  4. Any referenced stylesheet definitions
  5. Any other inlined objects in the displayed page

Each of these is cached independently by Squid. If one is dynamic or
uncacheable only that one is not cached.

See access.log when opening the page. There is one line per HTTP request
to Squid. (clear your browser cache first to get a better view of what
is being downloaded).