Re: [squid-users] NTLM questions (sorry)

From: Gavin Hamill <gavin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:16:04 -0000

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:43:59AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> > FATAL: authenticateNTLMHandleReply: called with no result string
>
> This is due to a broken response from a helper - it's a *loud* warning
> :}.

I gathered that much - unfortunately 'it's broken' doesn't actually tell me
anything that I didn't already know.

Does the following conversation between browser and squid seem sensible?

GET http://www.klub.org/ HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
backups/list-backup-25-may-2001.tar.gz lists/bin lists/docs lists/lock
lists/squid-announce lists/squid-bugs lists/squid-core lists/squid-cvs
lists/squid-dev lists/squid-faq lists/squid-users tmp/foo
Host: www.klub.org
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

HTTP/1.0 407 Proxy Authentication Required
Server: squid/2.5.STABLE2
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
backups/list-backup-25-may-2001.tar.gz lists/bin lists/docs lists/lock
lists/squid-announce lists/squid-bugs lists/squid-core lists/squid-cvs
lists/squid-dev lists/squid-faq lists/squid-users tmp/foo
Host: www.klub.org
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Proxy-Authorization: NTLM
TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAB7IAgAUABQApAAAACQAJACAAAABGSURFTTIwMDBCWVRFTA==

At this point, squid crashes.

I'm not asking for someone to log in and do it all for me, but I'm trying to
help
myself, and the available documentation is 'scant' at best, so this mailing
list seems to be the best avenue to pursue.

Were the config snippets I posted sensible? I got the same crash result
using:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth BYTELBYTEL-OFFICE

Cheers,
Gavin.