[squid-users] Can't download settings from proxy? Not necessarily a Squid issue, but maybe someone can help.

From: Scott Wrosch <swrosch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:14:18 -0500

Hello everyone!

I've got a problem that maybe one of you can help me out with. I've
done some searching for it, but haven't been able to come up with
anything yet.

Anyways, here's the problem. I've implemented WPAD, and thought
everything was working fine in my trials. Everything was
auto-configuring properly, and everything was golden.

Then I got it in my head to go test an XP box yesterday. That's where
the issue hit. Initially when I was pinging
wpad.marketingassociates.com, it was pinging to the old IP address (the
proxy server just changed IP addresses). So I flushed the DNS list in
XP by doing a ipconfig /dnsflush (or something close to that). Fixed
the pinging problem. But, it's still not downloading the wpad.dat file
from wpad.marketingassociates.com ...

So, I whip out and install Ethereal, and watch what it's doing when it's
trying to auto-detect the settings. What do I see? It's still calling
out for the old IP address, even though when I do a ping it's pings the
correct address.

It doesn't appear either that it's just this one XP box. It looks like
multiple boxes are having the same issue. The only common denominator
that I can figure is that they're all running Internet Explorer 6. I
uninstalled it on one Windows 98 box earlier, and the problem went away.
Reinstalled IE 6, no problems. (Ended up uninstalling it again for a
different issue with that box.)

So, does anyone have any ideas at all? Again, I have been searching for
solutions, but haven't been able to come up with anything. I can't
uninstall IE 6 on all of the boxes because IE6 is installed when the OS
is installed on a couple of them. Plus, it takes way too much time out
of my already busy schedule.

Thanks in advance!

Scott