RE: [squid-users] Can't download settings from proxy? Not necessarily a Squid issue, but maybe someone can help.

From: Scott Wrosch <swrosch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:04:18 -0500

Hi Group,

Well, I believe I have discovered the issue. Leave it to Microsoft to
screw things up. (I love how they specifically noted Squid in the KB
article I will link to below.)

Apparently they got this great idea (and it actually isn't a bad idea)
to go ahead and implement something called the Automatic Proxy Result
Cache. In a nutshell, it had cached an old version of the proxy
configuration information, and therefore wasn't updating it. See this
link for more on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271361

Well, rather than play around with the registry, I believe I may have
found a somewhat simpler solution. Basically all you have to do is in
Internet Options, uncheck the Automatically Detect Settings box, close
IE (if that's how you got to the Internet Options box), then re-open it.
re-open it. It should have then downloaded the new wpad.dat file. I
used Ethereal to confirm that it did indeed work.

Now, since I was testing this on an XP box, I logged out and tried it
with my user name. Same problem as I originally had. Did the above,
and it worked beautifully.

According to the KB article, Microsoft implemented this in IE 5.5. That
explains too why I had no problems with the Windows 98 box I was playing
with as well, since it had reverted back to IE 5.

It was definitealy a strange (yet interesting) problem. Took me a while
to figure it out, and a lot of head banging on the keyboard, wall, door,
etc.

Hope that helps anyone else who may run into this problem!

Cheers!
Scott

OS