RE: [squid-users] Can't download settings from proxy? Not necessarily a Squid issue, but maybe someone can help.

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 29 Mar 2003 08:11:36 +1100

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 05:04, Scott Wrosch wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> Well, I believe I have discovered the issue. Leave it to Microsoft to
> screw things up. (I love how they specifically noted Squid in the KB
> article I will link to below.)
>
> Apparently they got this great idea (and it actually isn't a bad idea)
> to go ahead and implement something called the Automatic Proxy Result
> Cache. In a nutshell, it had cached an old version of the proxy
> configuration information, and therefore wasn't updating it. See this
> link for more on it:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271361

Wow! Thats crazy - cache flushing when errors occur is fairly standard.
Make you wonder just how heavy their javascript engine is :}.

I had a similar problem recently - a .pac file to send clients direct
for https, and via squid for non https, and sites that mixed both on a
single server were mysteriously dying...

I suspect that this is the cause. So: thank you.

The main point of writing back is to point out that in the above
scenario, clicking the option on and off won't work :[. But: you can
easily send out a login script update to tweak the registry on all your
machines.

Cheers,
Rob

--