Re: [squid-users] Allways check the origin server.

From: Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó <carles@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 13:49:34 +0200

On Thursday 03 April 2003 10:55, Marc Elsen wrote:
> But the why of your question is strange : given freshness information
> for objects, squid takes that into account and will
> not bother the remote webserver, if not needed.

I want that squid bothers the remote server, but only a little bit, to ask if
the requested object has been modified (HTTP CONDITIONAL GET).
If the object has not been modified it will be delivered to the web browser
directly from the squid cache, saving bandwidth with the remote server.

This way squid will always update to the last version the objects in its
cache. When one web user requests any object, he will always get the last
version of it, never a fresh cache object that may have been recently
modified in the remote server :-)

I have modified this in the squid.conf file and restarted the squid server.
refresh_pattern . 0 0% 0

I belive that is all I have to do to make squid behaves this way, isn't it ?

Greetings.

---
Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó
carles@unlimitedmail.org