Re: [squid-users] Allways check the origin server.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 03 Apr 2003 13:55:51 +0200

tor 2003-04-03 klockan 10.41 skrev Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó:

> If I'm not wrong, this logs means that the proxy return a non modified code
> (304) to the browser that iussed the HTTP request without forwarding the
> request to the origin server.

Yes.

> I would like that squid always forwards a conditional GET to the origin server
> of all the objects it has in its cache.
> Is it possible ?

See refresh_pattern.

But please note that in such case there is very limited benefit of using
a cache. The overhead of a conditional GET is the same as a plain GET,
and the biggest benefit of a cache is to be able to avoid this overhead
in latency time. This overhead is also a quite significant portion of
the bandwidth usage of HTTP.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden