Re: [squid-users] Allways check the origin server.

From: Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó <carles@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:20:40 +0200

On Thursday 03 April 2003 13:55, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> But please note that in such case there is very limited benefit of using
> a cache. The overhead of a conditional GET is the same as a plain GET,
> and the biggest benefit of a cache is to be able to avoid this overhead
> in latency time. This overhead is also a quite significant portion of
> the bandwidth usage of HTTP.

Yes, the same latency time, but less bandwidth usage.
If, for example, I request a web page with lot of images, but all this images
are present and upated in the Squid cache I will save lot of bandwidth with
the remote server because the Squid will give them directly from its cache to
my web browser.

The benefits of this behavior is that I will grant that the proxy users
allways get the last version of the objects that they are requesting savig
lot of bandwidth in the Internet link, and with an increased speed for load
the in squid cache updated objects.

Greetings.

---
Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó