Re: [squid-users] Allways check the origin server.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 03 Apr 2003 14:56:57 +0200

tor 2003-04-03 klockan 14.20 skrev Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó:
> On Thursday 03 April 2003 13:55, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > But please note that in such case there is very limited benefit of using
> > a cache. The overhead of a conditional GET is the same as a plain GET,
> > and the biggest benefit of a cache is to be able to avoid this overhead
> > in latency time. This overhead is also a quite significant portion of
> > the bandwidth usage of HTTP.
>
> Yes, the same latency time, but less bandwidth usage.
> If, for example, I request a web page with lot of images, but all this images
> are present and upated in the Squid cache I will save lot of bandwidth with
> the remote server because the Squid will give them directly from its cache to
> my web browser.

Not a lot... it will need to do the verification of each image, which
means a HTTP request plus full response headers transferred over the
network. Only transfer of the actual image data is avoided.

In any case, see the refresh_pattern setting in squid.conf. It is fairly
well explained there on how to tune Squids idea of object freshness.

Free Squid-users support provided by Henrik Nordström <hno@squid-cache.org>
PayPal donations welcome if you consider my Free Squid support helpful.
If you need commercial Squid support or cost effective Squid and