Re: [squid-users] Squid hangs for 9 seconds before serving a page

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 Apr 2003 20:22:41 +1000

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 21:26, Awie wrote:
> OK. I am understand now. I think the confuse is "DNS Cache" as a brand
> and/or service
>
> Squid needs a "server" (i.e. DJB DNS Cache) to resolve the name and keep the
> data into its "memory". Hope I am right.

To resolve the name - yes.
To keep the data in memory - no.

Using a local DNS cache will actually *increase* DNS latency as you are
adding a layer to the resolving process. Unless you are on a service
where the closest DNS servers change regularly (I.e. ppp client), I
recommend just using your upstream DNS servers for squid. If you have a
local bind server, you will probably want to give squid that too.

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.