[squid-users] trying to make the "Transparent Proxy" invisible

From: Joe Solinsky <jsolinsky@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:38:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
  Sorry about the blank earlier message. Web email
clients seem to pick up on the enter key when you least
want them to.

   I'm using Squid as a transparent proxy server. I
don't have any use for caching, and I am always using a
redirector. Sometimes, the redirector sends the
request to a locally hosted Apache web server, for some
authentication purposes. The problem I'm having is
that the 3rd party, proprietary authentication module
is using the IP address of the Squid server for
authentication, which I do not want. Naturally, if I
had the code for the authentication module, I'd just
take an environment variable such as the
X-Forwarded-For one.
  There was some discussion about this back in 1996 or
1998, and the answer was that it wasn't possible to
"lie" to the web server about the originating IP
address; I was just wondering if this has changed in
years since, or coincidentally if there's a trick in
Apache people might know of to use a different source
for the client IP address.

-Joe Solinsky