[squid-users] SQUID problem in a MAN

From: Vladimir Burciaga Aguilar <anakinv7@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:54:36 -0500

Hi everybody, I'm newbie! In my work we have a MAN with 1 MB/sec. of
bandwith. We provide Web, mail and FTP services to all branchs of the
company. The Web service is the most used and we have and average of 500
users browsing per day.

We have a proxy server Pentium III, 800 MHz, 1 GB in RAM, 40 GB SCSI HDD and
Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 NIC. We use Squid as proxy on Linux SUSE 7.2.

The problem is that Web service tends to slow a lot, from 25 KB/sec. during
morning to 3 KB/sec. on noon and so long. The main reason is the massive web
download (.exe, .zip, .iso, .cab, etc.). Moreover, a lot of people use MSN
Messenger and they don´t want to loose it.

The Direction don't have budget for a better machine, but told us to find
the best way to solve the problem. We have a second machine identical to the
first one, that can be available soon.

The objectives are:
  - The optimal use of bandwith between users.
  - Porn sites restriction.
  - Downloads limited.
  - Allow Messenger without frequent disconnects.

There are some ideas:

- Compile Squid with Delay Pools and port restriction (We had try it, but it
turns slower and the Messenger disconnects a lot).

- Add other NICs to the machine for load reduction. How can do this without
change the client's configuration?

- Setup the other machine as another proxy server and dynamically manage the
load between them, according to MAN traffic. Is that possible?

- Setup a regular machine in each branch as proxy server with a cache
hierarchy between them (according to the branch's budget).

- Combination of them.

What do you recommend me to solve the problem? Does anybody have another
idea?

Thanks a lot for your help!

P.D. Sorry for my English.

MSN Fotos: la forma más fácil de compartir e imprimir fotos.
http://photos.msn.es/support/worldwide.aspx