Re: [squid-users] SQUID problem in a MAN

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:33:34 +0200

On Monday 21 April 2003 21.54, Vladimir Burciaga Aguilar wrote:

> The problem is that Web service tends to slow a lot, from 25
> KB/sec. during morning to 3 KB/sec. on noon and so long. The main
> reason is the massive web download (.exe, .zip, .iso, .cab, etc.).
> Moreover, a lot of people use MSN Messenger and they donīt want to
> loose it.

I'd recommend you to look into bandwidth control to limit the amount
of bandwidth a single user may use, giving users a relatively large
initial pool size, but a slow refill factor. This will make downloads
slow down significantly without affecting browsing or messaging.

See delay pools in the Squid FAQ.

> - Add other NICs to the machine for load reduction. How can do this
> without change the client's configuration?

Won't help for this small traffic rates.

Another NIC only helps is your NIC is saturated with traffic.

> - Setup the other machine as another proxy server and dynamically
> manage the load between them, according to MAN traffic. Is that
> possible?

Yes, but I do not think this will help either. Your problem should be
the use of the MAN link, not the proxy server.

> - Setup a regular machine in each branch as proxy server with a
> cache hierarchy between them (according to the branch's budget).

Might help a little, but probably not very much. The main goal if this
would be to reduce the traffic between the branches and the main.

> What do you recommend me to solve the problem? Does anybody have
> another idea?

First make sure you have a clear indication of exacly what the problem
is.

From your message I am guessing the main problem is the load on your
MAN link, not the proxy performance. Because your MAN link is heavily
loaded the proxy performance appears bad. But this is only a guess.