Re: [squid-users] Slow Conection to Internet

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:26:27 +0200

Hi, Dirk...

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:12:05PM +0200, Dirk Spiekermann wrote:
> He is running Squid to authenticate the User before giving him Access to
> the Internet, because not all Employees are allowed to use the Internet.
> Also the Trend Micro Viruswall is configured to be the parent of Squid
> in order to keep Viruses away.
>
> The problem is, that it takes qite long until the requeseted Pages are
> built up. If you're surfing without an Proxy Entry in the Browser, the
> connection really has the Speed, it should have.
> I already tested the Connection with only the Viruswall as the Proxy,
> but it had no Effect. The same if I used only Squid without the
> Viruswall as Proxy.

This delay may have many causes. Please try testing both Squid and
TrendMicro alone as a proxy (remove the parent from the squid.conf
during tests).

Is the name server running well? Please check the /etc/resolv.conf,
/etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf.

It is not a general problem. I run a proxy cluster where each node is a
proxy chain of Squid, WebWasher and TrendMicro - and that's fast as
hell. :)

 Christoph

--
~