[squid-users] Kernel load high, even when squid is idle

From: Michel <changes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:50:54 +0200

Hi all,

When squid is running on my machine the load average of the kernel is approx
1.0 or higher. Never lower.
If I kill squid the load drops to 0.3.
Besides that, having squid as an active process increases the temperature of
the processor with 10 degrees!

It doesn't matter whether or not the proxy is actually being used. It only
needs to be running to see these effects. The actual processor load that
squid uses has no further effects on the kernel load or processor
temperature.

Has anyone else seen this? And how can I get the kernel load to go down?

My machine is a PII-350, 256Mb running Mandrake Linux 2.4.18-6mdksecure