Re: [squid-users] squid with linux or freeBSD?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 19:21:23 +0200

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 14.16, Ahmad Masood Shah wrote:
> I think raid1 is best for squid..... regarding disk performance..
> can try raid0 too

Squid has not benefit of raid0 (striping) as it can make good use of
the drives as they are without the help of striping.

By striping you only get the negatigve effects of striping with Squid,
as the size of the filesystem increases which lengthens
filesystemcheck etc and the failure of one drive will invalidate the
whole filesystem.

striping is only beneficial in terms of performance if you need a
system which can sustain high speed sequential I/O such as a when
reading/writing huge files etc at very high bit rates... squid deals
with mostly tiny files at relatively low bit rates and do not benefit
from striping..

If you need a redundant system then either raid1 or raid5 should be
used for Squid. raid1 gives better performance, but is more expensive
in the number of drives needed.

raid5 is fully acceptable for Squid if you do not need the highest
possible performance.