Re: [squid-users] cache_swap_low and high waternmark

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 23:37:33 +0200

On Thursday 01 May 2003 23.23, Jigar Rasalawala wrote:

> 1. What Squid version are you using?
>
> Squid.2.4.STABLE4

Then you probably should upgrade..

  a) Squid-2.4.STABLE4 is known to have very many bugs, including
several critical security issues. See
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.4/bugs/ and
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/bugs/ (many of the
Squid-2.5 bugs is also relevant for Squid-2.4, see each bug report
for details)

  b) Squid-2.4 is no longer maintained by the Suqid developers. The
current maintained Squid release for production use is Squid-2.5.

> 3. What type of cache_dir?
>
> cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 4294 16 256

Then the performance of your Squid will be somewhat limited. Do not
expect more than 30 requests/s or ca 1Mpbs with such configuration.

> 6. How much traffic is your Squid trying to handle?
>
> 8Mbps ( 1MBytes/s ).

This won't work with the above configuration as Squid will be waiting
for the harddrive most of the time, and performance will quickly
spiral down as too much requests get queued up.

You need to use the aufs cache_dir type, and at least two cache drives
(preferably three to give some room for expansion).

And you should be using 2.5.STABLE2 or later.