Re: [squid-users] squid with linux or freeBSD?

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:37:22 +1000

Hi,

I remember now where I got the idea that under one-disk-down raid-5 was actually
faster than with all disks available. It was at a talk by the guy from Data
General who has a *lot* to do with their Clariion disk arrays. Here's what I
remember:

1) overall read performance is (as rightly pointed out) *slower* - 1 in "n"
reads require the data (from the block on the missing disk) to be reconstructed.

2) overall write performance is *faster*. Why? Because 1 in "n" writes no longer
requires the parity calculation because there's nowhere to store it - the parity
block is on the missing disk.

At least I think that's right :-) If it isn't, I'm going to hunt down the paper
from that talk and read it again.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell