Re: [squid-users] problem compiling squid

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:42:01 -0700

 "Henrik Nordstrom" wrote:
> You should not edit autoconf.h.
>
> The correct steps are:
>
> 0. "make distclean" if you have already built Squid in this
> directory.
>
> 1. "ulimit -n 8192" before running configure. Verify that configure
> reports that it can open 8192 files and that SQUID_MAXFD is set
> properly in include/autoconf.h.
>
> 2. "make install"
>
> 3. "ulimit -HSn 8192" before starting Squid.

Thanks as always Henrik, I just finished and that did the trick. Since I
was already doing the ulimit before I mucked with the FD_SETSIZE, I think
the problem was that I did "make clean" instead of "make distclean" (and yes
I was rebuilding each time in the same dir).

Not having noticed SQUID_MAXFD in the archives I never "saw what was under
my nose" - my mistake . Now that I google for that, I see it's all over the
place.

As an aside: it's interesting that my own post and Henrik's reply are
already in group.google's search engine whereas for newsgroup posts it
usually takes a full day to get there. I guess that makes sense given the
propagation of Usenet "server to server" versus the one-to-one of an email
list. Still interesting to search again for the same problem and find the
post I just got in the mail. Ok, maybe only I found that interesting :)

thanks again,

adam