[squid-users] squid on 64 bit server: memory calculation differences with the FAQ?

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:17:10 -0700

Hello,

I sized my cache_dir and cache_mem based on the FAQ, whose words I
interpreted to this formula:
(( 10 * "total GB of cache_dirs" ) + cache_mem + 20 ) * "double for total
physical RAM"

Applying this to my own system I get:
(( 10 * 7 ) + 374 + 20 ) * 2 = 928MB which I think is pretty good/close
since I have 1024MB.

However the FAQ comment "more [RAM] on 64 bit servers such as Alpha" makes
me wonder by what amount of "more" I should be calculating. That is if 64
bit machines like the Solaris 8 Ultra 60 box I am running Squid on needed
(hypothetically) 15 * total GB then, then I'd want to either lower my
cache_mem and/or total cache GB so as to fall as closely to 1024MB of RAM.
Or am I applying the above "rule" to rigorously and shouldn't worry so much
about the "double for total physical RAM" part? So to properly calculate
cache_mem and cache_dir, I am wondering how the other values would differ
for my 64 bit server.

Secondly, are there any advantages to running Squid in 64bit mode? The box
has the 64 bit OS but I've compiled Squid in 32bits because I didn't know of
any concrete advantages and I know that Oracle 64 bit requires twice the RAM
of 32 bit and didn't want to just waste RAM if the 32 bit version would run
fine. I have both compilers on the dev box: one 32 and one is 64 bit
(needed for lsof). So is there any advantage to running a 64 bit version
and regardless of which version I run (32bit or 64bit) does the fact I am
running on a 64bit OS change the above memory requirements/formula? By the
way, the total RAM needs of the non-squid processes seems to be about 35MB
RSS (33MB RES per top) and 91MB SZ (total size in virtual memory, also 91MB
per top).

thanks,

Adam