Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy and WCCP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 09:21:11 +0200

On Friday 09 May 2003 05.32, MunFai wrote:
> it's compiled as a module, but i'm not sure whether it's loaded.

Just try to load it.

> but if the router (it's a Cisco) can 'see' the proxy server as
> alive, so does that mean it's loaded already?

No. The module is not used when the proxy server and router chats and
agrees on activating the interception. The module is only used for
processing the traffic intercepted by the router once they agree on
using WCCP.

* squid <-> router chats over UDP to agree on WCCP
* When agreed, router will start intercepting port 80 traffic and
encapsualte them in WCCP GRE for forwarding to the Squid server
address.
* The Squid server then needs to decapsulate the WCCP GRE packets to
access the real client packets (WCCP module), and then intercept
these client packets and forward them to the proxy application
(iptables/ipfw rule)
* Squid then gets the traffic and needs to accept and forward it as
transparently proxied traffic.