Re: [squid-users] not checking files for a predetermined time

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 09 May 2003 13:49:28 +0200

fre 2003-05-09 klockan 11.49 skrev Andy Simpkins:

> My understanding of a cache is that a local copy of a file is 'saved' and
> whenever the file is requested from a machine using the cache then the
> cached copy of the file is delivered instead of downloading the file from
> the remote server again. Great saves lots of bandwidth and reduces load on
> the original server, but doesn't the cache server still needs to check the
> original server to see if the file has changed?

Depends. The cache may assume the file has not changed if

a) The server said that the information is fresh for a certain period of
time

b) If the server did not indicate how long the information is fresh or
that the information is private an may not be cached then the cache may
make assumptions, usually based on modification time and URL. In Squid
these assumptions is controlled by refresh_pattern rules in squd.conf.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before