[squid-users] not checking files for a predetermined time

From: Andy Simpkins <andy.simpkins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:49:44 +0100

hi guys,

I have had a quick search through the FAQ and archives and can't find
anything relating to this, however it is probably me trying to use the wrong
terminology as I am sure that others will have done this before.

My understanding of a cache is that a local copy of a file is 'saved' and
whenever the file is requested from a machine using the cache then the
cached copy of the file is delivered instead of downloading the file from
the remote server again. Great saves lots of bandwidth and reduces load on
the original server, but doesn't the cache server still needs to check the
original server to see if the file has changed?

Is there any way to tell squid for specific files NOT to check to see if
they have changed? Or perhaps to tell it to check these specific files at a
given interval only (say 6 months)? The files in question are quite large
gifs and shouldn't change at all, but we still want to see them. There is
the possibility that they may change, however we could live with not knowing
about the change for as much as 12 months!

Is my understanding of this correct or am I talking out of my ass? Is want
I want to do possible and if so how do I do it?

I am very green in this area, please be gentle with me :-)

Many thanks

Andy