Re: [squid-users] Anonymous SSL Tunneling Proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 23:52:27 +0200

On Friday 09 May 2003 21.50, Jeremy Junginger wrote:
> Is it possible to set up the following with SQUID:
>
> A proxy that uses an SSL connection to tunnel http traffic from the
> client to the proxy server such that the proxy passes the http
> traffic on to the web server?
>
> Client<---ssl--->Squid(SSL)<---http--->www.whatever.com

If you can manage to convince some browser to use SSL for the proxy
connection then Squid-2.5 will happily do the above.

But as far as I know there is not a single browser who thinks using
SSL for the proxy connection is a function someone might want to
use..

This leaves the Squid SSL functionality mostly useful for
accelerators, until some browsers get the picture and understand that
browser<->proxy is also a area where SSL is needed for security.