Re: [squid-users] Monitor Bandwidth Usage.

From: Tim Bernhardson <TBERNHAR@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:19:22 -0700

Doesn't have to be...

I have an old PentiumPro 200 box I pulled out of the uninstalled server pile a couple of years ago that has an Adaptec 4-port NIC in it attached to my DMZ, Internet, Internal LAN running Linux and ethereal (Total cost = $0.00). Only 1 port has an IP address (on the Internal LAN).

I can connect to the box with SSH and fire up ethereal on any of the ports and capture traffic with no problems - as you said a real help in troubleshooting problems...

Tim Bernhardson
Senior Technical Engineer
Certified Citrix Metaframe Administrator
Certified CyberGuard Administrator
Certified AIX 4.3 System Administrator
Sun-Maid Growers of California
7273 Murray Drive, Ste 18
Stockton, CA 95210

tbernhar at sunmaid dot com

>>> "Adam" <adam-s@pacbell.net> 05/15/03 09:59AM >>>
Of course if you are using delay_pools and have properly tuned/tweaked it,
then it may be possible that something not going through your proxy is
causing the spike Like you said a virus, or yesterday, in our case, a user
was doing an ftp to our public ftp server which does not go through the
proxy. That was only traceable/troubleshootable because the network group
has mirrored the port to the internet and put a sniffer on it. Great
product but apparently a lot of money.

hth,

Adam