RE: [squid-users] script conv httpd log fmt -> squid native

From: la. w <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 20:11:40 -0700

---
	That's the script I mentioned that converts squid native to
httpd native -- i.e. already found that one, (surprisingly, via
'google'! :-)), thank you.  I want to
do the reverse.  I like being able to 'vi' my logs and browse them
with the date format being readable.
> As to your original assertion about making the logs "easily readable,"
> the only thing cryptic is the UTCseconds timestamp which is easy to
> filter.
---
	Maybe filterable, but not easily if I'm browsing the logs
with vi/vim/gvim which is what I use about 80% of the time
> The other values are just in a different order.
----
	Order doesn't bother me.  It's usually just date/time that
are important so I can find the data/queries/replies I'm looking
for.
> Lastly, not sure what kind of report generator you are wanting or
> since first you want httpd native format logs but then want a script
> that "only groks squid format" but I find Calamaris, also linked from
> the above squid Scripts url, very useful.
---
	I'm actually wanting to use Calamaris -- but my scripts are
in httpd_native so I can read date/time.  For each time I need to
use calamaris (this is the first time), I've used vim on the
logs directly to read info (where I need date/time to be readable)
about 50-100 times.  If my normal usage is to read logs with vim,
having date/time be human readable is a great advantage.  While
I could hope that I could reach the advance skill of spock listening
to binary code or mr. traitor in Matrix-1 who could just read
the binary screens directly, I'm not quite at that level (besides,
the reasoning of
> The line I like to use is
> "cat access.log | calamaris -a -O -c -U M > squidrep.out" as it gives
> all reports (-a), sorts by size (-O), is case insesitive (-c), and
> switches from K to MB, making for cleaner tables.  What I liked about
> Calamaris is it has few dependencies.   I just downloaded it, ran the
> script, put it in cron, and voila I had handy daily reports.
>
> anyhow do whatever you like - I hope some of the above proves useful,
---
	No...you're just making me drool/unhappy that I can't have
my human readable time/date *and* calamaris reports (vegatarianism
aside).
	It's really just the date/time format that I'm mostly unhappy
with.
-linda