[squid-users] WCCP Squid recommendations

From: Mike McCall <mccall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:25:58 -0600

Hello,

I'm sure there will be a collective groan from the group when you read this,
but yes, I have a question about interception proxying. I have read as many
of the newsgroup postings as I possibly can that deal with the subject, but
I still have questions.

First, here's our situation: We are a K-12 school district with roughly 3000
machines that have the ability to access the internet, and according to CIPA
requirements, have to be actively filtered for offensive/inappropriate
content. I have successfully tested SquidGuard and DansGuardian and either
will be fine for the filtering part, but the question remains as to how
we're going to force all of the clients to use the proxy.

We have Cisco routers that will do WCCP, so here are my questions: Is WCCP
robust and fault-tolerant enough to handle a potential load of 3000 clients?
If so, what kind of hardware should be on the Squid machine(s)? Which OS is
best for this kind of work if the machine will be dedicated to Squid and
nothing else (I was thinking OpenBSD, but am open to suggestions)? If we do
implement WCCP, will we still be able to see client activity by IP
(necessary for tracking down offending users) or will all activity appear to
come from the squid machine? Has anyone had success using this kind of
setup? Is there a better way to do this, other than having the users
configure their browsers to use the proxy?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike