Re: [squid-users] Authenticated Chaining with M$ ISA Server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 19 May 2003 19:30:00 +0200

mån 2003-05-19 klockan 18.16 skrev Adam_Humphreys@JLTGROUP.COM:

> I want to configure Squid as the child cache in a chain with and ISA cache
> as the parent. The child will proxy intranet and Internet requests, with
> only Intranet requests going to the ISA server. The ISA Server requires
> users to authenticate against the Windows 2000 Active Directory domain.
>
> 1) Is this configuration possible?

Yes.

> 2) Do I need Apache to run Squid?

No

> 3) Do have to configure any daemon or Squid to pass through the user
> authentication for Internet requests?

Depends on the auth scheme used. NTLM/NEGOTIATE (microsoft integrated
login) cannot be proxied, basic can but you must tell Squid that you
want to (see the cache_peer directive).

If the ISA only accepts "Microsoft Integrated Login" and reconfiguring
the ISA to also accept standard basic authentication ("plain-text") is
not acceptable then see the related software for some useful glue..

> 4) To keep the Linux build minimal, what are the minimum things that need to
> be loaded?

kernel
script or program to mount drives (optional) and set up networkging
(required)
squid.conf
squid

this won't be RedHat advanced server however..

Any minimal Linux with networking is generally sufficient for Squid to
be happy.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before