Re: [squid-users] Re: squid problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 20 May 2003 11:31:22 +0200

tis 2003-05-20 klockan 09.44 skrev Sukhjit Singh:

> I just wana ask is if a request comes to squid and it is not avaliable in
> the cache then the squid gets the request from the internet and when it gets
> the request ofcourse it is utilizing the bandwidth isn't it ?

Yes.

> how much bandwidth does it utilize.

As much as there is data in the requested object.

If you see that Squid is using more bandwidth than your users then make
sure there is no other users using your Squid... it is possible you are
missing some access controls, allowing random users on the Internet to
use your proxy server. Many people do abuse such open proxies on the
Internet to avoid local restrictions set by their country or ISP, or to
hide who they are when doing not entirely legal actions.. If this is
your problem then you should find lots of unexpected requests in
access.log coming from odd IP addresses not belonging to your users..

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before