Re: [squid-users] Differences with 2.4 Stable 6 and 2.5 Stable 3 and Installation

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 19:43:09 -0500

Greg Darby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone pls advise what the main differences are between 2.4 Stable 6
> and 2.5 Stable 3 ? Are there any performance increases in the latest
> version?
> I am just debating whether it is worth upgrading to it or not.

No significant performance increases except in the case of large ACL
lists. Even that might have been in 2.4, I don't recall...You're
unlikely to need a higher performance Squid anyway, unless you have a
pretty fast internet link, or a pretty small Squid machine, and are
already taking advantage of all of the performance-enhancing features
and tuning of prior versions (aufs, appropriate file descriptors, etc.)
and finding them lacking for your environment.

The next performance boost in Squid will come from the epoll patches in
the 3.0 branch...but that requires a patched kernel, and only works on
Linux.

> Also if wish to upgrade to 2.5 Stable 3 what is the easiest way on RedHat
> 7.2? Do i just rename all the Squid related files (as a backup) and install
> the binary? Or just install the binary over top of the older version and
> configure the squid.conf?

Do you have an RPM installation of Squid?

rpm -Uvh squid-new-version-arch.rpm

I just posted links to new Red Hat compatible RPMs about an hour ago.
Otherwise move the /usr/local/squid directory somewhere for a backup and
install, as usual.

Regardless of installation method, you will need to make sure you modify
any of the modified directives. These are documented in the changes file.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.