Re: [squid-users] Telnet

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:17:30 -0700

Hiep Dang wrote:
> I have squid up and running well but recently I run into problem that the
> windows 2000 workstation using squid as proxy cannot telnet. I can ping
and
> ftp to the site but cannot telnet. Keep getting error message: "Could not
> open a connection to host on port 23. Connect failed ." On the Squid
> server, telnet works fine.

Hello Peter,

If you can surf fine from your Win2K box, then squid is ok. The squid
cache/proxy shouldn't have anything to do with your telnet problem since
Squid is only proxying your HTTP requests. Since it is not squid it is
probably your firewall. Your problem sounds like telnet (but not direct
ftp's or ping's) is now being blocked at the firewall for your workstation
(and perhaps others) but the Squid proxy *box* itself is being allowed. If
this was done on the assumption that the Squid program/application would
also proxy telnet, then I believe that assumption is in error as Squid only
proxies HTTP. If you or whomever is in charge of your firewall wants all
telnets to be controlled and routed via the proxy *box* (same box as squid
but having nothing to do with that software) then you would probably need to
set up a SOCKS type server to forward telnet (and/or other) requests.
Henrik has in the past posted various ones he had heard of. The only one I
recall was DANTE but you can search the archives to find out the names of
others. If possible I would put the socks or other such server on a
different box just so as not to compete with Squid for system resources -
but that's just my uninformed opinion. Or see if you can get direct telnet
opened back up at your firewall.

hope this helps,

Adam