Re: [squid-users] Log MAC Address

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:01:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Thursday 29 May 2003 18.15, g_squid@netfids.com wrote:
> > Hi friends, I need to include the MAC Address in access.log How can
> > I do this?
>
> You can't without writing the feature in Squid.
>
> Note: It is only technically possible to log the MAC address of
> connections from stations locally connected to the same network
> segment as your Squid proxy. There MUST NOT be a router between Squid
> and the clients for this to theoretically work.

yeah even using proxy-arp would only give you the mac address of your
router for hosts on other subnets, which won't be terribly useful.

The place to log mac addresses is either on your dhcp server, or in front
of the outgoing interface for every subnet where you want to do that.

If you have a relativly short lease time and a syncronization between you
clocks corroborating your dhcp and proxy logs ought to be fairly easy.

> Regards
> Henrik

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but