Re: [squid-users] Squid being slow more than a direct connection (still)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 22:45:17 +0200

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 16.13, Stéphane Ascoët wrote:

> Hello,
> I've got only a few requests each minute, with the problem above.

Then you have bad problems somewhere.

> what's the hell with TCP backlog ? how could I know if this is the
> problem ?

The TCP backlog is most likely not your problem if you only have a few
requests per minute. The TCP baclog generally only becomes a problem
if you have many hundreds of users on slow connections (i.e. you have
users calling you with a modem) or many thousands of users.

The TCP baclog problem is also noticeable if someone ill sinned person
is SYN flooding your server and your OS does not have SYN flood
protection.

> http_reply_access allow all localhost
> #new, is it needed ?

This probably does nothing.. and if you do not have any other
http_reply_access lines then most likely no traffic will be allowed.

> visible_hostname Squid sur eMac serveur

This is not a good visible_hostname.. but is not related to
performance.

> acl local-servers dstdomain 192.168.1.0
> always_direct allow local-servers
> #will it work ?

Depends on what effect you want. This will make your Squid contact
such servers directly without using any cache_peers.

It won't make your users bypass your Squid when talking to these
servers. For this you need to configure your browsers to not use the
proxy for such servers.

> pipeline_prefetch on
> #new, what will it do ?

It will enable prefetching of pipelined requests.

> vary_ignore_expire on
> #new, what will it do ?

It makes Squid ignore Expires on responses with a Vary header.

Neither of the two above options should be enabled unless you know
what they are talking about.