Re: [squid-users] Squid being slow more than a direct connection (still)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 13:27:02 +0200

On Saturday 31 May 2003 11.20, Stéphane Ascoët wrote:

> Is it interesting for me to keep on working on http_reply_access ?
> For example if I add "http_reply_access deny other" ?
> What can I expect do with it ?

You should only be using http_reply_access if you have a need of
access controls which cannot be done in http_access.

> >> visible_hostname Squid sur eMac serveur
> >
> > This is not a good visible_hostname.. but is not related to
> > performance.
>
> Why ? What are your suggestions ?

visible_hostname should be a fully qualified hostname which resolves
to your Squid server or farm of servers.

> > [regarding always_direct]
> > It won't make your users bypass your Squid when talking to these
> > servers. For this you need to configure your browsers to not use
> > the proxy for such servers.
>
> grr, not very good, I'm disapointed about this point.

Sorry, not much Squid can do about this. If your browser has been
configured to send the request to Squid then HTTP only gives Squid
two options

a) Proxy the request

b) Deny the request giving the user an error message telling him he is
not allowed to make the request via Squid.

> I think ICP,
> peers and stuff like that doesn't concern me (a simple proxy
> sharing an ISDN internet connection for a multimedia space), should
> I desactivate it ? (Squid tells that it's listening for ICP on
> 3130, and I think this isn't relevant in my case)

If you only have a single server then there is no point of running
ICP, and there won't be any peers to set up peerings to. Consequently
the never_direct/always_direct/prefer_direct directives does not
concern you either (but if you use never_direct then things won't
work as there is no peers to forward to...)

> >> pipeline_prefetch on
> >> #new, what will it do ?
> >
> > It will enable prefetching of pipelined requests.
>
> This seems like chinese for me.

Then don't use the directive.

> >> vary_ignore_expire on
> >> #new, what will it do ?
> >
> > It makes Squid ignore Expires on responses with a Vary header.
> >
> > Neither of the two above options should be enabled unless you
> > know what they are talking about.
>
> yes, yes, but I'm trying everything to get rid with the slowness !
> I try to listen to my HDD, and it makes no noise, so it isn't
> related to swapping.

These directives are not related to performance.

> I've asked a few months ago if it could come from my resolv.conf,
> but had no answer :
> it has two lines :
> 192.168.1.1
> #the DNS of my router, which is proxying other DNS
> 193.252.19.3
> #DNS of my ISP
>
> With only my router DNS : doesn't work, squid very slow and often
> can't resolv names (and I can't understand why, since while surfing
> the net without proxy, it works very well with this setting)
> with only my ISP DNS : no difference than with the 2 activated

What DNS server are you using when not using Squid?

> Could cachemgr.cgi help me ?

To get a better understanding of what your Squid is doing yes.